CHICAGO, Sept. 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- CME Group, the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today reported August 2020 market statistics, including average daily volume (ADV) of 16.4 million contracts during the month. Open interest at the end of August was 101 million contracts. Market statistics are available in greater detail at https://cmegroupinc.gcs-web.com/monthly-volume.
August ADV across asset classes includes:
- Interest Rate ADV of 7.2 million contracts
- Equity Index ADV of 4.1 million contracts
- Options ADV of 2.1 million contracts
- Energy ADV of 1.9 million contracts
- Agricultural ADV of 1.4 million contracts
- Metals ADV of 1 million contracts
- Foreign Exchange ADV of 729,000 contracts
Additional August product highlights include:
- Record Metals ADV, up 15% from August 2019, including:
- Record Silver futures ADV of 221,000 contracts, up 61% from August 2019
- Record Micro Gold futures ADV of 194,000 contracts, up 380% from August 2019
- Record Micro Silver futures ADV of 34,000 contracts, up 1,000% from August 2019
- Record 3-Year Treasury Note futures trading volume of 13,401 contracts on August 31
- Micro E-mini Equity futures ADV grew 72% from August 2019
- Options on Micro E-mini S&P500 and Micro E-mini Nasdaq-100 futures launched August 31, trading a combined 1,815 contracts on day one
- Natural Gas options ADV rose 53% from August 2019
- Soybean futures ADV grew 23% from August 2019
- SONIA futures ADV grew 22% from August 2019
- Wheat futures ADV rose 20% from August 2019
As the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) enables clients to trade futures, options, cash and OTC markets, optimize portfolios, and analyze data – empowering market participants worldwide to efficiently manage risk and capture opportunities. CME Group exchanges offer the widest range of global benchmark products across all major asset classes based on interest rates, equity indexes, foreign exchange, energy, agricultural products and metals. The company offers futures and options on futures trading through the CME Globex® platform, fixed income trading via BrokerTec and foreign exchange trading on the EBS platform. In addition, it operates one of the world's leading central counterparty clearing providers, CME Clearing. With a range of pre- and post-trade products and services underpinning the entire lifecycle of a trade, CME Group also offers optimization and reconciliation services through TriOptima, and trade processing services through Traiana.
CME Group, the Globe logo, CME, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex, and, E-mini are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT and Chicago Board of Trade are trademarks of Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX, New York Mercantile Exchange and ClearPort are trademarks of New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. BrokerTec, EBS, TriOptima, and Traiana are trademarks of BrokerTec Europe LTD, EBS Group LTD, TriOptima AB, and Traiana, Inc., respectively. Dow Jones, Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500 and S&P are service and/or trademarks of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC, Standard & Poor's Financial Services LLC and S&P/Dow Jones Indices LLC, as the case may be, and have been licensed for use by Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE CME Group