Sydney Trains is upgrading its network with Ciena’s (NYSE: CIEN) 6500 Packet-Optical Platform to improve public services across its transportation system with a faster, low latency and reliable data network. The deployment will support critical passenger safety measures that ensure trains operate at safe distances.
- By investing in both 100G transport and Optical Transport Network (OTN) switching solutions, Sydney Trains fulfills its focus on building a network that enhances support of customer safety and critical train operations.
- Sydney Trains has various sites along its network that have different traffic requirements. The flexibility of Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical Platform supports these end-to-end services and various system configurations, including deployments over long distances and fiber types such as aerial.
- This network upgrade aids the transportation provider to transition from an SDH legacy network, and lays the foundation required to support future high capacity service requirements.
“It is continually a key focus for us to enhance our network for
support of our most important areas: passenger safety and customer
experience. Ciena’s 6500 Packet Optical Platform satisfies these
elements of our operations, addressing all the requirements we need to
upgrade our system in one solution.”
- Sydney Trains spokesperson
“For transportation providers, migrating their communication networks
by deploying Packet-optical technologies is key to continually
improving safety measures and optimizing passenger services. Ciena
offers converged packet optical solutions that serve as the foundation
for public transport agencies to meet current needs, while enabling
them to invest in the infrastructure to deploy future services.”
- Anthony McLachlan, Vice President and General Manager, Asia Pacific, Ciena
About Sydney Trains
Sydney Trains operates quick, frequent and reliable trains in the greater Sydney suburban area. Sydney Trains also operates and maintains the metropolitan rail network and provide maintenance services to NSW Trains. Visit transportnsw.info for trip planning, ticketing and passenger information.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.