Ciena® (NYSE: CIEN) is introducing new capabilities that empower network operators to tune, control and dynamically adjust optical capacity in an on-demand world, where 5G, IoT, content delivery and cloud are rapidly redefining network requirements. By combining fully-instrumented flexible optics and innovative software, Liquid Spectrum can monitor and mine all available network assets so operators can instantly respond to new bandwidth demands and allocate capacity across any path in real time.
Liquid Spectrum is the cumulative value of a series of next-generation optical and software technologies. It includes Ciena’s highly instrumented reconfigurable photonic layer, WaveLogic Ai coherent optics, Blue Planet Manage, Control and Plan (MCP), and new advanced software applications. Consistent with Ciena’s OPn philosophy on networking, Liquid Spectrum utilizes APIs and standard interfaces to support operators’ requirements for an accessible, open architecture.
- Operators recognize that the traditional, static method of building networks is no longer sufficient to keep pace with today’s web-scale network challenges and unpredictable bandwidth demands. To address this, Ciena is redefining how optical networks are built by providing a blueprint for software-defined optical architectures that are more agile, dynamic and open to meet the networking requirements of the next decade.
- Supported by Ciena’s Blue Planet software platform, WaveLogic Ai tunable coherent optics, and a reconfigurable photonic layer, Liquid Spectrum helps operators ensure the ideal amount of bandwidth is used at any given time. Open interfaces for high-performance telemetry are applied at both the software and hardware level, giving operators more choice in their architecture implementation.
In its initial introduction, Liquid Spectrum will feature advanced
software applications including:
- Performance Meter helps operators proactively ensure optimal system performance by providing access, for the first time, to real-time, accurate planning data for both the existing hardware and new planned services.
- Bandwidth Optimizer uses customer-defined service policies and suggests the ideal capacity, hardware configuration and spectral placement for any channel, across any network path.
- Liquid Restoration increases service availability with flexible adjustment of deployed coherent optical capacity as needed to route affected services across any available path in the network.
- Wave-Line Synchronizer accelerates service provisioning, reduces manual provisioning steps and eliminates associated human errors across multi-vendor optical deployments.
- Ciena’s WaveLogic Ai and Blue Planet MCP – two key elements of Liquid Spectrum – will be available in the second quarter of 2017. Liquid Spectrum and its initial software applications are slated for delivery by the end of this year.
“With Liquid Spectrum, Ciena brings together optical hardware
enhancements with an expanded Blue Planet portfolio. The result is a
strategic framework for how network operators can evolve toward more
streamlined operations and start on the path towards autonomous
- Heidi Adams, Senior Research Director, Transport Networks, IHS Markit
“There was a time when network operators could easily predict their
network traffic demands and capacity needs at any given time. But
we’ve entered a new world with new rules where networks are more
complex and mobile and cloud applications can disrupt overnight. With
Liquid Spectrum, we are sharing our full vision and blueprint for the
way future optical networks should be built to tackle the challenges
of the next 10 years and beyond.”
- Steve Alexander, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Ciena
- Webinar: Ciena will discuss Liquid Spectrum and the future of optical networks in a live webinar on March 15 at 8am PDT | 11am EDT | 3pm GMT. Register here.
- OFC 2017: Ciena will provide a glimpse into optical networks of the future with a Liquid Spectrum demo at next week’s OFC 2017 (booth 2146).
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a network strategy and technology company. We translate best-in-class technology into value through a high-touch, consultative business model – with a relentless drive to create exceptional experiences measured by outcomes. For updates on Ciena, follow us on Twitter @Ciena, LinkedIn, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.