Today, Pfizer launched its 2016 Annual Review, which provides an in-depth look at all of the ways Pfizer is accelerating patient impact and fulfilling its purpose: to make innovative medicines and vaccines that significantly improve people’s lives.
Every day we use our knowledge, expertise and resources to find new ways to positively impact public health, which in turn advances other global development objectives. We call this approach to global health “Entrepreneurship for Good,” and we are committed to using this approach to help achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
In the Annual Review, we share more about our commitment to the UN SDGs. Some of the 2016 achievements include:
- Helping to provide more than 250,000 patients over 1.7 million Pfizer prescriptions for free or at a savings, through Pfizer RxPathways®.* Supporting Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being.
- Expanding Pfizer’s humanitarian assistance program to enable broader access to its pneumococcal vaccine by offering it at the lowest prevailing price in countries most in need. Supporting Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being.
- Donating more than 600 million doses of an antibiotic for the treatment of trachoma, the world’s leading infectious cause of blindness, since a partnership with the International Trachoma Initiative (ITI) was formed in 1998. In 2016 alone, Pfizer donated and shipped more than 120 million doses. Supporting Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being and Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals.
- Collaborating with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation to help broaden access to Pfizer's long-acting injectable contraceptive for women most in need living in some of the world’s poorest countries. Since 2014, over six million doses of its long-acting injectable contraceptive have been shipped to 20 developing countries. Supporting Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being and Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals.
- Providing funding support to the China Tobacco Control Partnership, which provides grants and expert support to five cities in China to help ensure smoking is no longer the norm. Supporting Goal 3: Good Health and Well-Being and Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals.
- Working to reduce carbon emissions, increasing water efficiency and looking for ways to minimize waste. Supporting Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production.
Along with these achievements, Pfizer also increased its position on the Access to Medicine Index among the top 20 pharmaceutical companies from position 16 in 2014 to position 14 in 2016. Several factors contributed to our higher score, including structured donation programs, nearly doubling the size of our pipeline through research and development efforts, widespread enhancements of pricing, manufacturing and distribution efforts and strengthening our approach to building supply chains.
Learn more about the ways we’re helping all individuals everywhere live healthier lives: www.pfizer.com/annual.
* Data on file. Pfizer Inc., New York, NY.
KEYWORDS: Reports, Environment & Climate Change, Pfizer, ReportAlert, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)