WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. and SAN DIEGO, Dec. 1, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Eisai Inc. and Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: ARNA) today announced that the CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 study has reached its target enrollment of 12,000 patients at more than 470 sites in eight countries. The CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 outcomes study is designed to evaluate the impact of long-term treatment with BELVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) CIV on the incidence of major adverse cardiovascular events and conversion to type 2 diabetes mellitus in obese and overweight patients with cardiovascular disease and/or multiple cardiovascular risk factors.
"We are pleased to see full enrollment in this important study, which will advance scientific understanding of the long-term safety and efficacy of BELVIQ in overweight and obese patients," said Andrew Satlin, MD, Executive Vice President, Neuroscience and General Medicine PCU, Eisai Inc. "As a company focused on human health care, we are committed to increasing our knowledge of the effects of BELVIQ on cardiovascular health."
The five-year study, conducted in partnership with the Thrombolysis in Myocardial Infarction (TIMI) Study Group, will address the post-marketing requirement from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to evaluate the long-term cardiovascular safety of BELVIQ. In addition, the study includes two primary efficacy endpoints: (1) to assess the effect of BELVIQ on cardiovascular event risk reduction and (2) to assess the effect of BELVIQ on the conversion to type 2 diabetes mellitus among patients without diabetes at baseline.
"We are very excited that CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 has completed enrollment in such a timely fashion," said Benjamin M. Scirica, MD, MPH, Senior Investigator, TIMI Study Group and Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Co-Primary Investigator of the CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 Trial. "The enthusiasm and speed of enrollment highlights the commitment to evaluate the efficacy and safety of pharmacotherapy in obese and overweight patients who have cardiovascular disease or are at risk of cardiovascular complications. As the largest ongoing outcomes trial in obesity, CAMELLIA-TIMI 61 will provide invaluable information about this traditionally difficult to treat population."
BELVIQ is used along with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adults who have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 kg/m2 or greater (obese), or BMI of 27 kg/m2 or greater (overweight) with at least one weight-related medical condition such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or type 2 diabetes. It is not known if BELVIQ is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight loss products, nor is it known if BELVIQ changes the risk of heart problems or stroke, or death due to heart problems or stroke. BELVIQ is believed to promote satiety and decrease food consumption by selectively activating serotonin 2C receptors in the brain. The exact mechanism of action of BELVIQ is not known.
"We commend Eisai on the progress they have made in advancing CAMELLIA and on reaching this significant milestone," said Harry F. Hixson, Jr., Arena's interim Chief Executive Officer. "Data from this cardiovascular outcomes trial will provide a better understanding of the potential of long-term treatment with BELVIQ, and we look forward to the study results."
About the Study
The CAMELLIA (Cardiovascular And Metabolic Effects of Lorcaserin In Overweight And Obese Patients) TIMI 61 study is the largest ongoing double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group Phase IIIB/IV study among weight loss medications. The primary safety objective is to evaluate the incidence of major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE), defined as cardiovascular death, myocardial infarction or stroke. If the primary safety objective is met, the co-primary efficacy objectives are to evaluate the impact of BELVIQ on the incidence of: (1) MACE+, defined as MACE or hospitalization due to unstable angina or heart failure, or any coronary revascularization, and (2) conversion to type 2 diabetes mellitus for subjects without diabetes at baseline. In addition, the study will evaluate the efficacy of BELVIQ with respect to glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- BELVIQ should not be taken during pregnancy or by women who are planning to become pregnant.
Warnings and Precautions
- BELVIQ is a serotonergic drug. The development of potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome or Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS)-like reactions have been reported during use of serotonergic drugs, including, but not limited to, selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, bupropion, triptans, dietary supplements such as St. John's Wort and tryptophan, drugs that impair metabolism of serotonin (including monoamine oxidase inhibitors), dextromethorphan, lithium, tramadol, antipsychotics or other dopamine antagonists, particularly when used in combination. Patients should be monitored for the emergence of serotonin syndrome symptoms or NMS-like reactions, including agitation, hallucinations, coma, tachycardia, labile blood pressure, hyperthermia, hyperreflexia, incoordination, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and muscle rigidity. Treatment with BELVIQ and any concomitant serotonergic or antidopaminergic agents should be discontinued immediately if the above events occur, and supportive symptomatic treatment should be initiated.
- Patients should not take BELVIQ in combination with drugs that have been associated with valvular heart disease (e.g., cabergoline). In clinical trials, 2.4% of patients taking BELVIQ and 2.0% of patients taking placebo developed valvular regurgitation: none of these patients was symptomatic. BELVIQ should be used with caution in patients with congestive heart failure (CHF). Patients who develop signs and symptoms of valvular heart disease, including dyspnea, dependent edema, CHF, or a new cardiac murmur, should be evaluated and discontinuation of BELVIQ should be considered.
- Impairment in attention, memory, somnolence, confusion, and fatigue, have been reported in patients taking BELVIQ. Patients should not drive a car or operate heavy machinery until they know how BELVIQ affects them.
- The recommended dose of 10 mg twice daily should not be exceeded, as higher doses may cause euphoria, hallucination, and dissociation. Monitor patients for the development or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or behaviors, and/or any changes in mood. Discontinue BELVIQ in patients who develop suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
- Weight loss may increase the risk of hypoglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus who are being treated with antidiabetic medications, so measurement of blood sugar levels before and during treatment with BELVIQ is recommended. Decreases in doses of antidiabetic medications or changes in medication regimen should be considered.
- Men who experience priapism should immediately discontinue BELVIQ and seek emergency medical attention. BELVIQ should be used with caution with erectile dysfunction medications. BELVIQ should be used with caution in men who have conditions that might predispose them to priapism (e.g., sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia), or in men with anatomical deformation of the penis (e.g., angulation, cavernosal fibrosis, or Peyronie's disease).
- Because BELVIQ may cause a slow heartbeat, it should be used with caution in patients with a history of bradycardia or heart block greater than first degree.
- Consider monitoring for CBC changes, prolactin excess, and pulmonary hypertension.
Most Common Adverse Reactions
- In patients without diabetes: headache (17%), dizziness (9%), fatigue (7%), nausea (8%), dry mouth (5%), and constipation (6%).
- In patients with diabetes: hypoglycemia (29%), headache (15%), back pain (12%), cough (8%), and fatigue (7%).
- BELVIQ should not be taken by women who are nursing.
BELVIQ is a federally controlled substance (CIV) because it may be abused or lead to dependence.
Obesity is a serious and growing public health issue. The prevalence of obesity in the U.S. has more than doubled among adults in the past 30 years. Approximately 69 percent of American adults over the age of 20 are affected by obesity and overweight. This dramatic rise in obesity has also had a major impact on other diseases.
About Eisai Inc.
At Eisai Inc., human health care is our goal. We give our first thoughts to patients and their families, and helping to increase the benefits health care provides. As the U.S. pharmaceutical subsidiary of Tokyo-based Eisai Co., Ltd., we have a passionate commitment to patient care that is the driving force behind our efforts to help address unmet medical needs. We are a fully integrated pharmaceutical business with discovery, clinical, manufacturing and marketing capabilities. Our key areas of commercial focus include oncology and specialty care (Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy and metabolic disorders). To learn more about Eisai Inc., please visit us at www.eisai.com/US.
Eisai Inc. has affiliates that are part of a global product creation organization that includes R&D facilities in Massachusetts, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, as well as a global demand chain organization that includes facilities in Maryland and North Carolina. Eisai's global areas of R&D focus include neuroscience; oncology; metabolic disorders; vascular, inflammatory and immunological reaction; and antibody-based programs. Eisai's global areas of R&D focus include neuroscience; oncology; metabolic disorders; vascular, inflammatory and immunological reaction; and antibody-based programs.
About Arena Pharmaceuticals
Arena embraces the challenge of improving health by seeking to bring innovative medicines targeting G protein-coupled receptors to patients. Arena's focus is discovering, developing and commercializing drugs to address unmet medical needs, and BELVIQ® (lorcaserin HCl) is Arena's first internally discovered drug approved for marketing. Arena has US operations located in San Diego, California, and operations outside of the United States, including its commercial manufacturing facility, located in Zofingen, Switzerland. For more information, visit Arena's website at www.arenapharm.com.
Arena Pharmaceuticals® and Arena® are registered service marks of Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. BELVIQ® is a registered trademark of Arena Pharmaceuticals GmbH.
About the TIMI Study Group
The TIMI Study Group is an Academic Research Organization based at Brigham and Women's Hospital that has been leading practice-changing cardiovascular clinical trials for 30 years. Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) is a 793-bed nonprofit teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School and a founding member of Partners HealthCare. BWH has more than 3.5 million annual patient visits, is the largest birthing center in New England and employs nearly 15,000 people.
Certain statements in this press release are forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties. Such forward-looking statements include statements about the therapeutic indication, use, safety, efficacy, mechanism of action and potential of BELVIQ or lorcaserin; the cardiovascular outcomes study of BELVIQ, including the protocol, design, scope, enrollment, importance, significance, advancing understanding related to BELVIQ, providing invaluable information, addressing post-marketing requirements and other expectations; embracing the challenge of improving health; seeking to bring innovative medicines to patients; and Arena's focus, plans, goals, strategy, expectations, research and development programs, and ability to discover and develop compounds and commercialize drugs. For such statements, Arena claims the protection of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual events or results may differ materially from Arena's expectations. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the following: the cardiovascular outcomes study of BELVIQ may not proceed at all or in the manner or time expected, and the results of the study may not satisfy post-marketing requirements or otherwise be as expected; risks related to commercializing drugs, including regulatory, manufacturing, supply and marketing issues and the availability and use of BELVIQ or lorcaserin; cash and revenues generated from BELVIQ; the risk that Arena's revenues are based in part on estimates, judgment and accounting policies, and incorrect estimates or disagreement regarding estimates or accounting policies may result in changes to Arena's guidance or previously reported results; the timing and outcome of regulatory review is uncertain, and lorcaserin may not receive any additional marketing approvals; regulatory decisions in one territory may impact other regulatory decisions and Arena's business prospects; government and commercial reimbursement and pricing decisions; risks related to relying on collaborative arrangements; the timing and receipt of payments and fees, if any, from collaborators; the entry into or modification or termination of collaborative arrangements; unexpected or unfavorable new data; nonclinical and clinical data is voluminous and detailed, and regulatory agencies may interpret or weigh the importance of data differently and reach different conclusions than Arena or others, request additional information, have additional recommendations or change their guidance or requirements before or after approval; data and other information related to any of Arena's research and development may not meet regulatory requirements or otherwise be sufficient for (or Arena or a collaborator may not pursue) further research and development, regulatory review or approval or continued marketing; Arena's and third parties' intellectual property rights; the timing, success and cost of Arena's research and development and related strategy and decisions; results of clinical trials and other studies are subject to different interpretations and may not be predictive of future results; clinical trials and other studies may not proceed at the time or in the manner expected or at all; having adequate funds; and satisfactory resolution of litigation or other disagreements with others. Additional factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those stated or implied by Arena's forward-looking statements are disclosed in Arena's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These forward-looking statements represent Arena's judgment as of the time of this release. Arena disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements, other than as may be required under applicable law.
Contacts: Eisai Inc.
Contact: Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Craig M. Audet, Ph.D., Senior Vice President,
Operations & Head of Global Regulatory Affairs
858.453.7200, ext. 1612
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/eisai-and-arena-pharmaceuticals-announce-completion-of-enrollment-in-belviq-lorcaserin-hci-camellia-timi-61-study-300185958.html
SOURCE Eisai Inc.; Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.